REFRACTIVE ANALYSIS v.1.0.0
A Matlab toolbox for the analysis of refractive results in anterior segment surgeryContact the author
Have you used Refractive Analysis Toolbox in your research paper? Cite in the statistical analysis section replacing v.x.x.x. for the version used:
- Rodríguez-Vallejo M (2017). Refractive Analysis v.x.x.x. A Matlab toolbox for the analysis of refractive results in anterior segment surgery. Retrieved from https://www.test-eye.com/
Refractive Analysis is a Toolbox for MATLAB in order to conduct common operations related to anterior segment surgery or graphical representations according to the standards of peer review journals.
Astigmatism analysis is based on vector arithmetic. The current standard method in Ophthalmology practice is the Alpins method1 whereas in Optometry practice is more common to use the Thibos method.2 In the practice, both methods result in similar outputs.
- meanA: Computes the mean (standard deviation) and median (interquartile range) from a vector of astigmatism.
- doublePlot: Creates a plot which includes a set of astigmatism data.
The efficacy of a procedure is marked by Postoperative Visual Acuity WITHOUT Correction compared to preoperative WITH correction in a laser refractive surgery procedures3 whereas in cataract surgery4 Efficacy is reported as a function of the comparison of postoperative visual acuities with and without correction.
- "cumulativeVA" function. Cumulative visual acuity in Laser and Cataract Surgery
- "differenceVA" function. Difference between uncorrected and corrected visual acuity
The predictability of the procedure describes the accuracy for obtaining the target spherical equivalent refraction.
DISTRIBUTION OF THE CYLINDER
This graph is required for all studies to show the distribution of manifest refractive cylinder before and after surgery. However, because of the unreliability of the preoperative manifest refraction in the presence of a cataract, only the postoperative data are necessary for a cataract population.
REPRESENTATION OF LOCATIONS
Draw in a single angle plot, the data from a sample of points that can represent different information such as kappa angle or mu-chord, vertex normal, etc. Correct the data obtained from systems such as Pentacam in order to plot your results in conventional notation.
- "locationPlot" Function. Representation of a point from a reference (Mu chord, Kappa, vertex, etc)
- "muPentacam" Function. Correcting Pentacam chord-mu for conventional notation
ADDITION OF MULTIFOCAL INTRAOCULAR LENSES
Computes the effective addition from the Intraocular Lens (IOL) plane to the spectacle plane by the Holladay's equation.
- Alpins NA. A new method of analyzing vectors for changes in astigmatism. J. Cataract Refract. Surg. 1993; 19: 524–33. 2.
- Thibos LN, Wheeler W, Horner D. Power vectors: an application of Fourier analysis to the description and statistical analysis of refractive error. Optom Vis Sci. 1997; 74: 367–75.
- Reinstein DZ, Archer TJ, Randleman JB. JRS Standard for Reporting Astigmatism Outcomes of Refractive Surgery. J Refract Surg. 2014; 30: 654–9.
- Reinstein DZ, Archer TJ, Srinivasan S, et al. Standard for Reporting Refractive Outcomes of Intraocular Lens–Based Refractive Surgery. J Refract Surg. 2017; 33: 218–22.
- Astigmatism analysis inclusion.
- Function "meanA" added.
- Function "doublePlot" added.
- Efficacy inclusion for cataract and laser refractive surgery.
- Function "cumulativeVA" added.
- Function "differenceVA" added.
- Function "spheEquiv" added.
- Function "postCylinder" added.
- Function "locationPlot" added.
- Function "muPentacam" added.